A train derailment in East Sussex that left two people seriously injured may have been caused by the heatwave, experts have revealed. A Southern Rail service from London Victoria to Eastbourne carrying 150 people came off the tracks just outside Lewes on the hottest day of the year, derailing three of eight carriages.
Two people have since been taken to a major trauma centre with severe injuries as rail bosses launch an investigation into the incident. South East Coast Ambulance Service deputy chief paramedic officer, Michael Bradfield, said there had been a “mix of injuries of varied severity” among the 20 people taken to hospital.
Get the day’s biggest headlines in UK and World news and more Invalid email
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. Read our Privacy Policy

The incident may have been caused by the extreme heat. (Image: Getty)
Temperatures hit 33C in East Sussex on Thursday in the mid-afternoon, which experts say could have impacted the stability of the tracks.
Prof William Powrie, a professor of geotechnical engineering at the University of Southampton, said the extreme heat could have caused the ground to dry out, making it less stable and deforming it.
He explained: “Increased temperatures make continuously welded rails ‘want’ to expand. If they can’t do so, that can lead to rail buckling.
“Therefore, this incident could be hot weather-related, but the exact causal chain of events needs to be established through proper and thorough investigation, which is under way.”
Photographs circulated online show at least two carriages of a train lying on their side, with two passengers standing on top. Multiple bends in the track can also be seen behind the train after it derailed, with the other side of the line appearing normal.
Lucy McAuliffe, Network Rail’s route director for Sussex, said the railway between Haywards Heath and Lewes is likely to remain closed for some time as specialist teams carry out assessments.
Fire engines, ambulances and police have been stationed along Landport Road in Lewes, alongside a double-decker bus parked by the community hub, waiting for passengers to board.
Local resident Oriana Evans said she and her son helped casualties who were led off the train towards the community centre along the street, showing them where to go, including some passengers who were on holiday.
“I walked and chatted to some of them in shock, really,” the 54-year-old jewellery maker said. She said they told her they were alright but “really bruised”.
