One person claimed the thunderous wildfire emergency alarm was an ‘absolute abuse’ of the alert system.

As First Secretary of State, Louise Haigh is effectively Andy Burnham’s Deputy PM (Image: Getty)
Louise Haigh was the minister who approved the booming wildfire emergency alert that startled people across England and Wales, it is claimed. Millions received the piercing alarm which warned people against any activity that could start a fire “including disposable barbecues, firepits, garden incinerators of fireworks”.
Many took to social media to share their shock and anger over the loud, siren-noised alert sounded by mobile phones at 7pm on Friday evening. The incident prompted a debate over whether the UK’s emergency alert system had been “misused”. Andy Burnham said the Government-issued notification “came directly” at the request of fire services battling wildfires across the country.
Get the latest politics news – straight from our team in Westminster and more Invalid email
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. Read our Privacy Policy

The widlfire emergency alert was sent to mobile phones across England and Wales on Friday evening (Image: Getty)
However, some online were unhappy with the move.
One social media user said it was an “absolute abuse” of the alert system and that they were turning it off.
Another claimed: “What a misuse of the system. You hear the emergency alert klaxon and you think Putin’s finally launched the missiles, and then you check your phone and it’s the government asking you to not have a barbecue.”
While former Tory cabinet minister Thérèse Coffey said on X: “Was expecting [a] much more specific alert, not a generic message on wildfires.”
According to The Sun, it is understood the notification was given the green light by Ms Haigh.
As First Secretary of State, she is effectively Mr Burnham’s deputy prime minister.
After the thunderous alarm, Ms Haigh hailed it as “the most extensive use” of the UK’s mobile phone alert system.
Wildfires have continued to rage this weekend following weeks of high temperatures and dry conditions across much of the country.
In South Wales, firefighters have been brought in from as far away as London and Cumbria to help tackle major wildfires.
On Sunday afternoon, South Wales Fire and Rescue Service said it was responding to 14 incidents with the support of other services and military personnel.
On Saturday evening the service warned that, while temperatures may ease in the coming days, a continued lack of rain means the wildfire risk remains high into next week.
The Prime Minister has announced a temporary ban on disposable barbecues amid concerns of further wildfires in “tinderbox” Britain.
