crossorigin="anonymous">

What is happening on Brighton beach as huge police incident underway?

Police are trying to identify three women after their bodies were recovered from the sea.

Coastguard and Police at Black Rock, Brighton Beach

Coastguard and police at Black Rock, Brighton Beach (Image: Eddie Mitchell)

The bodies of three women were found on a beach in Brighton earlier today in what police described as a tragic incident. Scores of police officers descended on the scene following the discovery on Wednesday (May 13).

At the time of writing, Sussex Police was still trying to establish who the women are while also making efforts to reassure the local community. The three women were declared dead at the scene, according to South East Coast Ambulance Service. Police said they are not searching for anyone else.

Below the Daily Express details what you need to know about the incident. For the latest updates follow our live coverage.

What has happened?

Sussex Police said the bodies of three women were recovered from the sea off Brighton.

The emergency services were called after concerns were raised for the welfare of the women at about 5.45am on Wednesday.

Police were still trying to find out who the women were as of late-morning on Wednesday.

South East Coast Ambulance Service (SECAmb) said it was called shortly after 5.45am to reports of concern for the welfare of three women in the water off Brighton Beach.

A SECAmb spokeswoman said ambulance crews and critical care paramedics attended the scene and three patients were recovered from the water.

She added: “Sadly, despite the best efforts of all those involved, they were declared deceased at the scene.”

Where did it happen?

Police said the women’s bodies were pulled from the sea near Madeira Drive.

The road stretches along Brighton’s seafront from Brighton Palace Pier to Brighton Marina, a distance of around half a mile.

Brighton itself is a popular seaside resort with an estimated resident population of about 280,000.

What has the emergency service response been?

Pictures from the scene show scores of police officers and vehicles at Brighton Beach.

HM Coastguard said it responded to the incident at Brighton Beach from about 5.50am.

HM Coastguard helicopter was sent as well as Coastguard Rescue Teams from Shoreham, Newhaven, Littlehampton and Birling Gap, and three RNLI lifeboats from Brighton and Shoreham.

Sussex Police and the South East Coast Ambulance Service have also attended.

Members of the public have been urged to keep away from the scene by the police.

A spokeswoman from the RNLI said Brighton Lifeboat and Shoreham All-weather Lifeboat launched this morning at around 6am.

She added: “Our lifeboats have now been stood down and we’ll be directing any further enquiries to Sussex Police.”

What has the police said so far?

Chief Supt Adam Hays from Sussex Police described what happened as a tragic incident.

He said fast-moving inquiries were ongoing to confirm the identities of the three women and to understand exactly what has happened.

Mr Hays said in a statement: “I know this is concerning for the community, but I would ask the public to stay away from the scene at this time while emergency services continue their work.

“We will provide further updates as soon as they are available.”

Discuss More news

Để lại một bình luận

Email của bạn sẽ không được hiển thị công khai. Các trường bắt buộc được đánh dấu *