crossorigin="anonymous">

Andy Burnham announces UK government is BANNING one item in bid to stop wildfires.TA

The Government has issued a temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues due to the heatwave conditions.The single-use grills “have been the cause of a number of serious wildfires across the country over the summer months”, advice published online by the Government said.

It added: “Disposable barbecues cannot be considered a safe product in the context of the ongoing weather and environmental conditions and must not be made available for sale either in store or online at the current time.”

Prime Minister Andy Burnham had suggested earlier in the week that such a measure could be introduced.

With record dry conditions in July and a dry start to August, nearly three-quarters of England and the whole of Wales are in drought, heaping pressure on water resources for households, agriculture and the environment. A spate of wildfires have destroyed homes and infrastructure across the country this week.

In fact, England and Wales have already seen as many wildfires this year as in the whole of 2025.

Some 1,017 wildfires have been recorded in England and Wales this year, according to data shared by the National Fire Chiefs Council (NFCC), the same as last year’s record-breaking total.

Crews from the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service have continued battling a blaze which hit protected heathland in the New Forest after a van caught fire on the A31 near Ringwood on Sunday.

In an update on Wednesday evening, the fire service said crews expect to be at the scene for at least another three to four days.

Most major UK supermarkets have stopped sales of disposable barbecues in recent weeks in line with voluntary guidance from the NFCC.

Image of foil disposable bbq setup with glowing charcoal, dancing flames and drifting smoke, outdoor cooking preparation scene

Disposable BBQs have been banned from sale in the UK to protect public security (Image: Getty)

Get the latest politics news – straight from our team in Westminster and more Invalid email

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. Read our Privacy Policy

The Prime Minister also said that there had been a “significant number of excess deaths from heat this summer already” and urged the public to follow health advice, including checking in on elderly friends and relatives.

Two record-breaking heatwaves in May and June led to more than 2,800 excess deaths.

The Royal College of Nursing has warned that nurses are collapsing at work and are being forced to care for patients in temperatures in excess of 30C.

Others have reported seizures and “dripping with sweat from head to toe”, and nurses have said patients are being cared for in hospitals which have been described as “unbearably hot” and “not fit for humans”.

Meanwhile, Chiltern Railways and East Midlands Railway have issued alerts to “only travel if essential”.

Other operators will either run a reduced timetable or are warning about the potential for short-notice cancellations.

Discuss More news

Để lại một bình luận

Email của bạn sẽ không được hiển thị công khai. Các trường bắt buộc được đánh dấu *